Manuka Honey Workshop – Hydrocolloid containing Manuka honey as a first line defence in maintaining peristomal skin health.
Speaker: Dr. Duale Mahdi, research scientist
Why skin integrity is at the Heart of Stoma Care?
- Skin – the interface
Protection – mechanical impact, fluids, radiation, infection; thermal regulation; endocrine function/ Vitamin D; sensation
- Skins structure – formed by hypodermis, derma, epidermis – 3 lays
Structure of the Epidermis:
- Stratum Corneum Structure:
Key components: 1) Corneocytes contain keratin and compounds referred to as natural moisturizing factor ( NMF), b) Intracellular Lipid bilayer
Skin hydration ( moisture- associated skin damage)
Consequences of Moisture Damage:…(..)
- The pH of human organs is tightly regulated by acid- base homeostasis varying between 1 to 8
- “normal” pH skin is acidic in range of 4.1 – 5.8
- Skin pH bacterial growth in particular staphylococcus aureus which has an optimal pH of 7.5
Peristomal Skin Complication
– common – estimated to be approx. 70 %
– expensive – treatment cost for severe case of Peristomal skin complication
– is the flange simply an adhesive plate? It has a huge impact on peristomal skin protection
– why have an additive such as Manuka honey in the baseplate? = natural, safe ( ingestible), strong etc
High level of MGO are present in Manuka Honey from the nectar of the flower of the Manuka bush ( Leptospermum Scoparium) , indigenious to New Zeeland.
UMF trademark is giving for the original of the honey , on the content pure.
- Low pH, High sugar content, hydrogen peroxide,
- Reported benefits of Medicinal Honey ( anti-inflammatory activity, is used in wound dressing to stimulate and rapidly heal skin, used in burns etc)
Peristomal skin in study ( for flat appliances, not convex)
- 61 % saw improved peristomal skin and increased in their QOF
- 93% comfortable
- 88% felt secure
- 68% Improved or healed
- Honey is safe
- String positive clinical results
- Leading core research that will be continued to share